Did you know you don’t need to see your GP for hay fever treatment?
Hay fever and seasonal allergy treatments such as tablets, eye drops and nasal sprays are all easily available at low cost from your local pharmacy – no prescription from your GP required!
Antihistamines are usually the best treatment for hay fever and these can easily be bought from local pharmacies or supermarkets.
NHS Greater Huddersfield and NHS North Kirklees Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) spend around £1.3 million on medicines that are readily available over-the-counter at low cost. By choosing inexpensive in-store brands, patients can buy their medicine for less than half the price the NHS pays when providing them on prescription. By going to the pharmacy you’ll be saving yourself time and money, freeing up GP appointments for people with more urgent needs as well as doing your bit to help the NHS save money on unnecessary prescription costs.
For more information about treating allergies or to find your nearest pharmacy and opening
times visit www.nhs.uk
Top tips to help ease hay fever symptoms:
- put Vaseline around your nostrils to trap pollen
- wear wraparound sunglasses to stop pollen getting into your eyes
- shower and change your clothes after you’ve been outside to wash pollen off
- stay indoors whenever possible
- keep windows and doors shut as much as possible
- vacuum regularly and dust with a damp cloth
- buy a pollen filter for the air vents in your car and a vacuum cleaner with a special HEPA filter
Other useful information